Sunday, October 18, 2015

At Flashbak: Sci-Fi TV: 1992


This week at Flashbak, I selected the year 1992 for a close-up survey of old, obscure, or forgotten TV series.  Eventually, I hope to cover all the years between 1970 and 2000.  (So far, I've looked at 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1987, and now, '92.)

The year 1992 brought us a number of weird and highly forgettable high-concept programs. You may (or may not...) remember them. 

One venture came from Wes Craven, another was a post-apocalyptic sitcom (!) and the third recycled an old plot-line of unlikely cop partners; one human, one robotic.

Here's a snippet and the url of Sci-Fi TV: 1992

"This installment of my blog series about forgotten or obscure sci-fi series remembers 1992 – the year of the Bush/Clinton electoral showdown (which we may get a rerun of in 2016).

In terms of sci-fi programming, the genre was in transition, and still, largely, floundering.  Star Trek: The Next Generation had not yet spawned its first spin-off (Deep Space Nine), and The X-Files was still a season away. 

High-concept programming was the order of the day, but none of it caught on with general audiences."

Continue reading (please) at Flashbak!

1 comment:

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...