Monday, January 05, 2015

At Flashbak: The Great Mego Playsets of the 1970s



At Flashbak, I catalog some of my favorite Mego playsets of the disco decade.







"When I was a kid in the 1970s, one toy company stood above the rest in terms of my affection: Mego.

Throughout the early part of the decade and in particular before the arrival of Star Wars and its Kenner toy line, Mego not only manufactured a slew of eight-inch action figures, and vehicles for them, but -- best of all – huge, colorful playsets related to movie and TV characters and franchises.

Now, it’s true that these playsets were made, often, of laminated cardboard pieces, but they still looked amazingly cool, and made possible hours, if not decades, of fun. 

Today, my home office is decorated with these toys, and some of the photographs in this post are from my personal collection.

Now, let’s take a look back at a handful of the most awesome Mego TV and movie playsets from the disco decade."

1 comment:

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...