Monday, February 24, 2014

Harold Ramis (1944 - 2014)


The press is now reporting the death of actor, writer, and director Harold Ramis, a talent who is beloved (and will always be such...) by my generation for his funny turns as brainy Dr. Egon Spengler in Ghostbusters (1984) and Ghostbusters 2 (1989).

Of course, Mr. Ramis's talent goes far beyond that role. 

He was one of the three writers responsible for the classic comedy, Animal House (1978). 

Mr. Ramis also co-wrote Meatballs (1979), Caddyshack (1980), and Stripes (1981)...all films that remain touchstones for those of us that grew up in the late 1970s and early 1980s. 

In 1993, Mr. Ramis also co-wrote and directed another modern classic, Ground Hog's Day.

In recent years, Harold Ramis co-wrote and directed such notable efforts as Analyze This (1999) and Year One (2009).  

It's a terrible shock to the system to lose Mr. Ramis, and my thoughts are with his family, friends, and other loved ones at this difficult time.  

5 comments:

  1. I think you really hit the nail on the head when you said, "all films that remain touchstones for those of us that grew up in the late 1970s and early 1980s." There's a whole generation who grew up with his films and appearances on SCTV and were influenced and entertained by his brand of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, bummer. I know his credits go far beyond Ghostbusters and all, but, still...

    "Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head. You remember that?"

    "That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me."


    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable :( RIP Harold Ramis.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to stop any talk about Ghostbusters 3, without Mr. Ramis going the writing.

    Anyone who didn't laugh when they said "Do", "Ray", "Egon" just had no child left in their soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This is very sad news. Stripes forever Harold.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...