Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Collection of the Week: Shogun Warriors (Mattel; 1978 - 1979)



The years between 1978 and 1980 were magical ones for me as far as childhood toys go.  This was the immediate post-Star Wars age, when outer space toys arrived in a veritable deluge.  Mattel's Shogun Warriors -- giant robots with spring-loaded weapons and fists -- arrived in this span, and remain to this day some of my favorite toys from the era.

The Shogun Warriors -- described in slogans as "Invincible Guardians of World Freedom" -- came in three scales: the goliath-sized 24-inch plastic models, the five-inch die-cast figures, and the 3.5 inch die-cast variations.  I had one giant sized toy, Great Mazinga, and a whole slew of the 5 inch and 3.5 inch models.  I have a few of the 5 inch-ers to this day.


Intriguingly, the Shogun Warriors -- although marketed as being brethren from the same universe -- actually originated from various Japanese anime programs or franchises.  

The red Dragun came from Getter Robo (1975-1976), the aforementioned Mazinga originated with Mazinger Z (1974).  The horned, lion-chested Gaiking was born of Divine Demon-Dragon Daiking (1976-1977), and Raydeen, with a kind of Egyptian-style head-dress, came from Brave Raideen (1975-1977).  All these programs featured giant robots (jumbo machinder), and so it was decided to market the group as a kind of squad.


I knew absolutely none of that information as a kid.  Instead, I followed the mythology created by Marvel Comics in 1979.  A Shogun Warriors comic ran for sixteen issues, courtesy of artist Herb Trimpe and writer Doug Moench.  The line established that "The Followers of Light" had created the robots, who were then piloted by various human individuals here on Earth.  Rewardingly, the Shogun Warriors were integrated fully into the Marvel Universe, and some comics had cross-overs with other Marvel characters, such as The Fantastic Four.




The Shogun Warriors line also came to include vehicles -- planes and tanks -- and best of all, giant monsters. I remember seeing Godzilla in Toy Stores and desperately wanting it, but apparently, Rodan was also released.  

Below, a few Shogun Warrior Toy commercials from the era.  And later today, I'll be posting photographs of my surviving collection (which isn't, alas, particularly impressive).








1 comment:

  1. What a memory blast. I had forgotten these completely, until i cam across a reference to the mazinger anime and thought, hey that looks just like, and it took a bit to pry loose the memory of the giant robots with projectiles. . . and then here, the Godzilla. Ah such coveted toys from back in the day. I think that's wild that Doug Moench wrote a comic about them. I think of him for Moon Knight, and Six From Sirius, Electric Warriors, and I had a particular fascination with Deathlok. I never saw a shogun warriors comic. Who knows, Micronauts was based on toys and it was a great sci-fi comic--at least at that age, I've never seen one in adulthood.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...