Monday, December 09, 2013

Late Night Blogging: The Top Ten John Carpenter Films (at Arrow's Video Deck)


As many of you know, I've been working with Arrow Video in the UK, as of late.  I have written articles for their (gorgeous...) Blu-Ray booklets for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, and for the upcoming Big Trouble in Little China (1986).

To celebrate the latter film's new home release, I posted at their blog, The Video Deck, my selections for the top ten John Carpenter films.  Check it out here.

Here's a snippet:

"It’s always a difficult task to weigh a director’s career output in terms of a mere top ten list, but much more so in the case of John Carpenter.  The auteur and maverick has directed so many great films --- and in so many genres -- that often times it feels like comparing apples and oranges.  For example, how does one choose between two legitimate masterpieces like The Thing (1982) and Halloween (1978)?

Below, I have endeavored to tally the top ten John Carpenter films as I view them right now, and the reasons behind those selections.  Those who have read my book The Films of John Carpenter will note that I have re-jiggered the order some since that book was first published.  This is because John Carpenter’s films are almost universally ahead of their time, and sometimes a “true” sense of a film’s value only becomes apparent on retrospect."

1 comment:

  1. Great List, but I'd put Halloween at #2 and The Thing at #1 on my own personal list. I also would have found a spot for "Christine". Love that Plymouth Fury!

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...