Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Collectible of the Week: Teenage Mutant Ninja Sewer Playset (Playmates; 1989)






In 1989, Playmates produced this large-scale playset for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a Mirage property that the company had begun licensing in 1987.  

The "Sewer Playset" represents the HQ for Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael.  The large set is described on the box as a "double-decker hangout and hideout for turtles."  The top of the playset is street level (with a manhole cover and fire hydrant), and the bottom level is the underground.

This Playmates set originally came complete with a high-voltage battle swing, a "real working elevator," realistic sewer pipe passageways, a "sewer control center," a fire-hydrant sewer-scope/periscope, and a "turtle computer with see-through screen."



Many of my nephews, over the years, have been big fans of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but I've always kind of been on the outside looking in at them.  From what little I've seen, I enjoy the parody aspects of the characters.  Anyway, I recently purchased this playset for my son Joel at Rebel Base Comics here in Charlotte, after it caught his eye.

He's not a TMNT fan yet, either.  Instead, Joel wanted this toy as a base for his Dalek collection!  We watched "Genesis of the Daleks" for our movie night a week ago, and he thought the playset would be perfect to represent Davros' Kaled bunker.  

You can see below, from the pictures, the use my son has found for the sewer playset.



Below, a TV commercial from 1989 for the Playmates "Sewer Playset."


5 comments:

  1. I was going to say I really don't care for the ninja turtles but throw some daleks in like your son did, well, now that is demonstrating real vision. Nice work Joel! Now you're talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SFF! Joel likes to man every playset imaginable with Daleks (and Davros) now. The Kenner Death Star set is currently being operated by Daleks. I'm afraid the universe may explode...

      Delete
    2. Ha, he's a smart boy, The Daleks truly are one if the most fearsome villains. Gosh if only Tom Baker did his job. Oh well, at leat we have daleks in the turtle sewers. Very cool.

      Delete
    3. John, it is just a matter of time before the Daleks and Davros are flying your Mattel Eagle. :)

      SGB

      Delete
    4. SFF and SGB: You guys are the best! Joel has really taken to the Daleks and we watched Genesis of the Daleks together...he loved it save for the fact that he didn't get to see the Dalek squids out of their suits. And you're right, SGB, they'll be in that Eagle and overruning moonbase alpha in no time at this rate...

      Delete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...