Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Ask JKM a Question: Overrated Genre Movies




All right, now reader Jason is back to get me in more trouble by asking me about overrated genre films. He writes:

"It occurred to me that I also meant to expand the question to movies as well.  Naturally, I have my own opinions on this, too...  

It's easy to pick on a movie like "Avatar" as overrated, but that's too easy.  Yes, it was a well-made movie and made a ton of money, but I don't know a single person who really loved it or holds it in particular esteem.  It's like a good roller coaster ride at the amusement park: it's fun the first time, but once you figure out where all the thrills are, it's just a long ride with a barf bag at the end.

No, my pick for most overrated genre film has to be the "Matrix" series.  The first one was fun and different, but by the time the second and third ones came out... I fell asleep in the second one and didn't bother seeing the third.  It ended up coming across as pretentious.  Some filmmakers cannot figure out the difference between a film with a message and a film with a MESSAGE!!!!!"

All right, before I respond with my selections, let's re-establish the definitions here for those visiting the blog and reading this post.  "Overrated" doesn't equate to "Bad," necessarily.  That's the "nuance."  A good film can be overrated if the critical response is out of proportion to the film's artistic merits.

Okay.

Jason, I think you are right about Avatar.  It can't be overrated because everyone complains about the bloody thing all the time.  If anything, it is actually underrated, given the widespread propensity to take shots at it.  The beaten, bruised corpse of that movie has been picked over so fully, there is nothing left but bones.

I  understand your point on the subject, but I actually feel the same way regarding The Matrix Sequels. I so rarely read anything nice or positive about either Reloaded or Revolutions, that I can't actually term either one overrated.  The critical evaluation remains so low that, again, at least Reloaded feels immensely underrated to me.  (And you can read my review of the film, here.)

My school of the overrated would by headlined by two Christopher Nolan movies: Inception (2010) and The Dark Knight (2008). 


Again, that's not to say that either film is bad, or less-than-entertaining, only that the critical responses have been over-the-top enthusiastic to such a degree that brain washing (or is it peer pressure?) appears to be involved.   And I write this as a serious fan of Nolan's work, especially Memento (2000) and Batman Begins (2005).

But Inception takes nearly three hours -- and multiple levels of confusing time-shifting reality -- to accomplish what the Mission: Impossible team did every week on TV in 52 minutes, only with psychotropic drugs or psychological warfare: suss some information out of a recalcitrant subject.  

At about two-thirds of the way through the film -- when a truck is endlessly plunging from a bridge in super-slow motion -- the reality strikes the intrepid viewer that there must be some easier, less laborious, less time-consuming way of sussing out this information...one that doesn't use dream infiltration, and dreams moving at different rates of speed, at that.  

Once that realization strikes, you check out of the movie.  The premise doesn't withstand scrutiny.

Additionally, Leonardo DiCaprio's character in the film is suffering from an identical "crisis" as his character in a film released earlier the same year, Shutter Island (2010).  If you haven't seen that film, compare the flashback and revelation scenes, and you'll see what I mean. 

As for The Dark Knight, a strange madness swept over movie goers and critics alike in the summer of 2008  -- like some surging tidal wave -- and there was apparently no resisting it.  In the cold light of day, this Batman movie boasts little sense of visual sweep or grace, and the fight scenes are loud, incomprehensible examples of herky-jerky chop-suey.  

Philosophically, the film validates every War on Terror Age outrage and excess, and the story ends with the lesson that it is better to tell the people a comfortable lie than a difficult truth.  Then, we're supposed to feel sorry for the martyred Batman after, essentially, he agrees to a bargain premised on his low opinion of the public's ability to handle the facts.

I fully realize, of course, that many genre fans love, love, love, LOVE both these movies, and I certainly wouldn't attempt to dissuade them from their heartfelt appreciation.  

But the wide and deep -- nay pervasive -- critical approbation for these abundantly flawed (if admittedly interesting...) genre films makes them perfect candidates for the "most overrated" title in my book.   I still like and appreciate aspects of both films, even if I wouldn't park either one in the neighborhood of "great" genre movies. 


2 comments:

  1. You know, I've got to agree with you about "Inception". It's a fun action flick, and probably the best executed of Nolan's films. But it was not nearly as clever and "game changing" as I kept hearing critics and non-critics say. I was actually disappointed with the simple fact that Nolan took something as unbound and wild as dreams - and went out of his way to confine them with rules and regulations. It seemed like he ended up stifling a real opportunity here. But what you say is correct, he was out to make a slightly surreal techno thriller. And on those terms I think he succeeded. But it feels like a wasted opportunity.

    There is an anime film by one of my favorite directors, Satoshi Kon. It's called "Paprika" and it does so much more with the concept of dreams, and diving into other people's dreams. It has scenes that are literally imagination unbound. That is what I was expecting and hoping for at some point from "Inception".

    You know, I think "The Matrix" is a bit overrated. As you mentioned the follow-up films get trashed on pretty hard. And they don't deserve it. But a lot of folks really love the original. Again, I kept hearing how fresh and new it was. But it really borrowed many of it's visual elements from Japanese comics and animation. It's themes and execution were also rooted in those media. I just didn't see why it was blowing so many people away. I figured that time would put some perspective on it. But I still run into a lot of people who call "The Matrix" - "a true original". So that still gets under my skin (obviously).

    I'm also still annoyed by the ending of that film. The whole concept of a kiss bringing Neo back from the dead, well it just flies in the core tenant of the film. Neo should come back, not because of true love's kiss, but because "There is no spoon". I enjoy the movie, but every time we hit that kiss, my eyes nearly roll out of my head. It seems like a minor flaw, but it affects the core theme of the film not to mention the characters. I see it as a major flaw, one that keeps this from being a great genre film.

    Of course all this could just mean I'm a bitter old man. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put another vote down for me on Inception. What was all of the hype about this film?

    When I finally got around to seeing it, I was really expecting something pretty big, but alas it was okay. As Roman says, a good action film.

    But for inventive and smart, sit down and watch Dark City.

    It's also hard to argue in defense of The Matrix as original. It's another huge moment in live action sci-fi, but borrowed as Roman said from alot of Japanese anime. I'm a fan too Roman.

    Anyway, another great question and your offerings are spot on again John. I'm just not a fan of Inception. A friend of mine loves it and yet hated the third BAtman film. I've yet to see it. And like you, I loved Batman Begins. That is indeed the best of all the Batman films.

    Inception is certainly good, but, as the question goes, OVERRATED.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...