Friday, September 14, 2012

What I'm Reading Now: Graphic Horror: Movie Monster Memories




Last year, I was invited to participate in a really cool horror book project, and it has recently come to fruition, to beautiful effect, so I wanted to put out the good word about it here on the blog before the weekend.

Schiffer has just published editor and author John Edgar Browning’s Graphic Horror: Movie Monster Memories, a gorgeous coffee table book featuring the poster art of scary movies from the 1920s right up through 2009. 

The art is supplemented by terrific commentary from horror luminaries including David J. Skal (who also writes the introduction), Donald Glut, Peter Hutchings, Tony Timpone, Gregory A. Waller and many, many more. There’s also an afterword by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, and John himself sets the scene well with his introduction, “Movie Monsters and the Printed Page.”

I was honored too to see my own film commentary included in Graphic Horror.  In the book, I get to discuss some of my favorite genre films including King Kong (1976), Halloween (1978), Phantasm (1979), A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) and Child’s Play (1988), among others.  It’s a kick to see my words as captions and commentary next to some great, evocative, and famous horror movie posters.

The book is about 200 pages long, and also features a thorough index and a “ghoul” library with a selection of readings in horror and the fantastic.  I got my contributor copy in the mail on Monday, and haven’t been able to put the darn thing down.  I’ve been carrying it out with me to kindergarten car line when I pick up Joel, and keeping it close at hand.

So check out Graphic Horror: Movie Monster Memories if you get a chance.  The book is eminently display-worthy, and  fascinating in terms of genre history and scholarship.   Graphic Horror is available at Amazon.com here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...