Monday, August 27, 2012

Television and Cinema Verities #34



“Many people talked about how the humans in the film were more machine-like than the machines, but that was intentional.  The only time my character showed any type of emotion was when HAL [super-computer HAL-9000] wouldn’t let him back inside the ship, and I had to go inside the emergency hatch.  And there was the scene where you see me taking HAL’s [intelligence machinery] apart, and it was not easy for my character to do that because it was like taking the persona of a human being apart, and I’m saying “Yeah, Hal. It’s OK,” or “Sing ‘Daisy’ for me, HAL.”

- Keir Dullea discusses his character, Astronaut Bowman in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:27 AM

    John, fascinating quote. There is a 2008 documentary that unfortunately is not on dvd yet, but if you can see Stanley Kubrick's Boxes(2008), see it. It is an interesting account of the career of Kubrick. I am a fan of his 2001:A Space Odyssey, but the detailed research in the making of the other films are interesting too.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...