Monday, May 21, 2012

Television and Cinema Verities # 20


"If you're trying to sell the horror and scare people, the show must be firmly grounded in reality.  The people had to be real and react in a real way.  Kolchak is the only character who should have his feet not quite on the ground.  How could you expect people to be seriously frightened by a monster if they don't believe all the other characters?"

- Darren McGavin discusses Kolchak: The Night Stalker in Fangoria # 3 with interviewer Berthe Roeger. December 1979, page 39.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Darren McGavin's statement is why the two telefilms and the Kolchak:The Night Stalker television series are among my favorite '70s boyhood memories. Kolchak's investigations were always engaging with his voice-over narration.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SGB:

      Well said, my friend. I couldn't agree with you more. I love the character of Carl Kolchak. McGavin did a brilliant job with him, right down to the colorful voice-over narrations you mention.

      best,
      John

      Delete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...