Saturday, February 07, 2009

Vault of Horror's Cyber-Elite Returns With the Top 20 Foreign Horror Movies of All-Time!

B-Sol at the great genre blog Vault of Horror has just gone live with another "Cyber-Elite" post.

This time, the dedicated cabal of horror film lovers has selected the top twenty foreign horror movies of all time.

And yes, It's another tally certain to spur controversy and debate (good things, in my book...). Especially because Italy's output is so lightly represented overall.

And, well, if I've learned anything in the last few years...don't mess with Italian horror movie fans. They'll never forgive you. Hell hath no fury like an Italian horror movie fan scorned.


A quick scan of the Cyber-Elite list reveals that six of my personal top ten foreign horrors made the group list, which is a pretty good number, I reckon.

Alas, two of my high-ranking choices, Don't Look Now (1973) and Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) didn't make the final cut. D'oh!

You can check out the entire list here. Below I include a snippet of the top five. I had three of these on my top ten (but I'll leave you to guess which ones. But yes, one of my top two choices was indeed Italian...):


1. Let the Right One In (2003) – Sweden
2. Suspiria (1977) – Italy
3. Cemetery Man (1994) – Italy
4. Nosferatu (1922) – Germany
5. Diaboliques (1955) – France

2 comments:

  1. Pretty good list. There's a few of those on my "to watch" lists (which is getting longer and longer each time I visit your blog).

    I've recently had a good discussion with a friend about French horror; and he insisted that Pascal Laugier's Martyrs (2008) is one of the best horror movies of all-time. Have you seen it? He was so enthusiastic, I can't wait to watch this movie. I'd love to hear your opinion if you had the chance to see it.

    Thanks again,
    Laurent.

    P.S. It's a shame that The Orphanage didn't make the list. It's one of my personal "21st century horror" favorite along with Let the Right One In and 28 Days Later (which both got selected in the top 10!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow, Laurent --

    Both "The Orphanage" and "Let The Right One In One" made my top ten foreign horrors list!

    I have not seen "Martyrs" yet, but now I am officially looking for it!

    I'll be reviewing The Orphanage and Let The Right One In here on the blog soon, as soon as I get the chance to watch them a second time and take more careful notes.

    Probably March!

    thanks for writing,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...