Tuesday, December 16, 2008

COLLECTIBLE OF THE WEEK: Star Trek Communicator (Hallmark; 2008)

Look what beamed down to my home office...

Just in time for Christmas (or my belated birthday...) arrives this new Hallmark Star Trek "keepsake" tree ornament for Stardate 2008. My mother-in-law in Richmond, VA, sent this gift to me yesterday, and Joel and I have been playing with it since. (So much for keeping it in mint condition...).

From the back of the box:

If you had to invent a futuristic communications device, what would it look like? Decades before flip phones became commonplace, the visionary prop artists of STAR TREK created this convincing, portable, and highly desirable method for 23rd century Starfleet crew members to keep in touch with each other."

When you open the communicator's golden grill, this ornament makes the trademark "clicking" sound from the original series.

Then, when you press the lower-left-hand button on the small device, you activate an array of Capt. Kirk (Shatner) quotes, including: "Bridge, this is the captain," "As you can see, we have another problem," "Kirk to Enterprise." "We're beaming up. Notify transporter room," "Standby, no one is to leave the ship," and a classic from "The Doomsday Machine:" "Never mind about me, protect my ship!!!"

The button on the right-hand side activates remarks from other Enterprise crew members. Mr. Spock says: "Captain, shall I beam down an armed party?," "Spock here, are you all right, Captain?" "Getting strange readings from the planet surface, Captain," and "Your signal is very weak. Can you turn up your gain?

Scotty declares: "We're putting everything but the kitchen sink into the impulse power, sir," "Enterprise to Captain Kirk," "Condition Red! Condition Red! and "We can't make transporter contact, sir!"

Uhura also hails Captain Kirk, "Enterprise to Captain Kirk, come in captain..."

You know, I'd swear she;s hailing me, personally....

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...