Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What I'm Reading Now...


From the back cover: "When Star Trek debuted in 1966, it presented an inspiring vision of a voyage into the unknown reaches of space. Now one of the longest running and most multifaceted franchises in television history, Star Trek has addressed everything from social, political, philosophical, and ethical issues to progressive and humanist representations of race, gender and class.

These essays contend that Star Trek is not just a set of television series, but part of the identity of the millions who watch and read the films, television episodes, books and fan stories..."

Some of the essays in the book include: "Crossing the Racial Frontier: Star Trek and Mixed Heritage Identities," "Save the Whales and Beware Wilderness: Star Trek and American Environmental Views," and "Eight Days That Changed American Television: Kirk's Opening Narration."

I'm looking forward to delving more deeply into this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...