Thursday, March 02, 2006

RETRO TOY FLASHBACK #32: Buttons!

Over the years, political buttons have proven to be very valuable collectibles. Own a Bush/Quayle '92 button? Or how about a Gore/Leiberman 2000? Yet - perhaps not surprisingly - there's also such a thing as science fiction film and tv buttons.

I think the first collectible I ever actually purchased with my own money (meaning my allowance...) may very well have been a button from Star Wars. This was back in 1977, and my favorite character was Chewbacca. Because he was kind of like a monster, I guess, and I was a King Kong fan. I was in the second grade when I bought my prized Chewbacca button at Englishtown Flea Market. After I bought it, you couldn't get me to take it off.

Over the years, I collected more, including ones from ALF, Space: 1999 and the like. When I was in high school, my sister bought me a personal favorite: a "Spock for President" button, which I guess is sort of the equivalent of a political button, right? I mean, imagine how much better our country would be if Mr. Spock really were President. If the decisions he made for our well-being were based on principles like logic, peace, infinite diversity in infinite combinations and the like. Not only that, he plays a mean game of three dimensional chess.

Anyway, "buttons" are the toy of the week. Anyone out there collect 'em? I'm guessing they're probably not as popular as other sci-fi collectibles because buttons are cheap, easy to create, and probably not even "official." Still, they're fun.

And I do own a political button, by the way. It isn't pictured here. But it reads "Jane Wyman was right..." Hopefully, someone out there understands what that snarky remark means.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:21 PM

    I actually have a rather nice collection of political buttons. My pride and joy is a "Nixon for Governor" button from his failed California bid. I also have buttons from Clinton's second inauguration that I bought on the very day in downtown D.C. I also have other various buttons I have picked up throughout the years. One of the great parts about political buttons is that when they are current, they are free!

    I also have some movie buttons. I have quite a few of the old promo buttons studios would give out before movies were released. I have Star Trek V, Batman, Day of the Dead, Ghostbusters II, Nightbreed, Total Recall, and even Ford Fairlane. They were all free too!

    I was a big enough nerd to actually were a Spock button that said "Live Long and Prosper" and another that said "Star Trek Lives!" to school in junior high!

    I don't have a huge love for movie buttons but I sure did like them when I was a kid. I used to like to wear the button to the premiere of its corresponding movie. Those were the days!

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Oh, I forgot to mention. I do get the little slam on Reagan.

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:29 PM

    Like Chris, I have tons of the free movie and comic book promotional buttons that used to be given out at conventions in the late 80's-early 90's. A few that I can recall are Doom Patrol, Green Monkey, Innerspace, Superman IV, The Lost Boys, a thermodynamic TARDIS button, and a large V button that Fox gave to promote their initial re-broadcast of the mini-series. I actually had enough to completely cover a denim jacket, which I wore to a Halloween party as a spoof on how many people dress for conventions. It weighed in excess of 20 pounds when covered. When someone remarked that my "armor" should be called "button chain," I replied, "No, it's 'Fan Mail.'"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:54 AM

    I remember they had the thick plastic cover on them, so I took crap buttons apart and put my own cutouts in like the band Kiss (Gene Simmonds will probably sue me), and other stupid things that if I remembered, would make me cringe. Kinda like using a good hockey card to make my BMX bike 'fart' like a motorcycle!

    Hilarious site, but making me feel old...

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...