Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Muir in The New York Daily News!

Hey I got a few nice quotes in The New York Daily News this weekend (November 13)! Reporter Joe Neumaier wrote a piece on the upcoming movie version of Rent, and since my new book Singing a New Tune: The Rebirth of the Modern Film Musical covers this very subject, I got interviewed. Nice huh?

You can find the article
here.

Here's a sample:

"Daphne Rubin-Vega, who played Mimi, was pregnant, so Rosario Dawson ("Sin City") was hired to replace her. Fredi Walker, who played Maureen's girlfriend Joanne, reportedly removed herself from the cast, saying she was too old (at 42, she's the most senior of the original lineup). Newcomer Tracie Thoms stepped in."

"And while the film has lost none of the grit that it had on stage, it has been fleshed out for movie audiences. "

"Theatrical musicals need to be altered as they move from stage to screen, because the art forms are so different," says John Kenneth Muir, author of "Singing a New Tune: The Rebirth of the Modern Film Musical."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...