Thursday, September 08, 2005

International Literacy Day


Today (September 8th, 2005) is not only the 16th anniversary of my first date with my beautiful wife Kathryn (at the University of Richmond), it has also been designated by the United Nations as International Literacy Day. This is an important occasion to note because - although there are four billion literate people in our world - there are just as many who aren't; and too many of them live right here in the United States.

To celebrate International Literacy Day, the Literacy Council of Union County in North Carolina has invited me to an event they are holding around the county (at Waxhaw, Union West, Monroe, and Marshville). I will be at the Monroe Library today, participating in a program called "D.E.A.R." (Drop Everything And Read). The mission of the Literacy Council is to: "improve the quality of life in our community and expand individual potential by teaching adults to read, write, speak and understand the English language."

For fifteen minutes, from 12:15 to 12:30, I will be reading from one of my books (The Encyclopedia of Superheroes on Film and Television), and in particular, the entry on my favorite superhero: Superman. Superman is a character of great moral strength and clarity, and a man - I believe - who would understand the value of literacy (especially since Clark Kent is a reporter). I'm very much looking forward to this public reading, and hope that everybody who reads this blog will take an opportunity today to think about International Literacy Day, and perhaps read a passage or two from your favorite book to commemorate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...